The Cell provides importers and exporters in Pakistan with data on market conditions related to WTO obligations (import and export barriers) and trade flows (import and export volumes, value and shares) in a form and context that is useful to traders. The Cell is also equipped to provide specific analytical support to entrepreneurs for identifying market access opportunities in existing as well as new markets and will respond promptly to general enquiries and requests for advice about the WTO trading system, the status of multilateral and bilateral negotiations, availability of trade information from multilateral agencies (WTO, UNCTAD and ITC) and access to selected publications that provide more background on these issues.
Since its inception, the Cell has been actively involved in some substantive projects and activities, some of which are listed below:
- Seminar on 'Exploring Pakistan's Export Potential in China & Malaysia in the context of the Free Trade Agreements' held at the Karachi Chamber of Commerce and Industry (KCCI) on 25th March, 2008 and Islamabad Chamber of Commerce and Industry (ICCI) on 14th April, 2008.
- Seminar on 'Clinical Research Management in Pakistan' in association with Ministry of Health and JPMC, on 26th April, 2008 download report
WTO Workshop on ‘Trade Facilitation Self Assessment of Needs & Priorities for Pakistan’, from 23rd to 27th June, 08
WTO Workshop for the Training of Trade Officers on 3rd September, 2008 download presentation
- Highlights of the Trade Policy 2008-2009 download report
R.A.D. (Research & Analysis Directorate)
The RAD was formed to provide in-house research support and analysis on trade matters to all Divisions of TDAP, as well as the trader community. The RAD thus undertakes the following specific tasks:
- Maintaining Trade Statistics of Pakistan
- Making fortnightly presentation to the senior management on the ‘State of the Trade’,
- Preparing country reports and commodity reports;
- Preparing research reports on international trade issues;
- Preparing position papers for senior management on trade issues confronting Pakistan; e.g.
Pakistan’s Import Management Strategy 9th August 2008 download report
- Providing input to the Ministry of Commerce, Government of Pakistan on bilateral and regional trade agreements.
- Provides trade data support to other Divisions of TDAP.